Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Tongue Tied Episode 7



Tugal and Aria began searching the Thurium dig site by the light of the full moon.
They finished skirting the site perimeter.
“If there’s a dragon here, I can’t see it,” Tugal said. Morning was close, and a fringe of light was already growing on the horizon.
Aria leaned over the edge of the hole and scrutinized each cliff and crag. “I can’t believe he lied to me.”
“You did shoot him with a blaster.”
She picked up a rock and threw it into the pit below. “Not before he told me this dragon was supposed to be here.” She watched as the rock dropped. It stopped in mid air with a hollow thump, then rolled to the ground. “That’s a might odd.”
“What?”
“Watch this.” She threw another rock. This time it dropped straight down and landed on the dirt with a solid thud.
“That is odd,” Tugal said. “The rock went down.” He made an arc with his hand and whistled as he imitated the path of a falling rock. “Thud.”
“It didn’t do that last time.”
“Go down?”
“It didn’t… Uh, maybe… I should—just accept Grant lied to me. You take the roan and go on back to the saloon. I’ll deal with Grant for his lying thieving ways, and meet up with you later.”
“Don’t you want I should go down there and have a look-see before we give up?”
In the dim light Tugal couldn’t see the change in Aria’s affect. If he had, he might have figured out that she was hiding something. “Nah. He played us like a pair of deuces. I bet he was hoping we’d let him go before we came out here to check out his story. You go on back and get some sleep and a hot meal. I’ll be along,” she jerked her finger in the direction of the carriage where Grant lay unconscious, “once I’ve dealt with him.”
“I could kill him afore I go.”
Fear flashed in her eyes, hidden from Tugal in the darkness, and her face went hot. “No.” Aria blurted out. “I mean.” Her mind stumbled. “I want him awake when I take care of him. I want to look him in the eye.”
Tugal smiled in the darkness. “Aria, you learn from Tugal. It is satisfying to watch a man’s soul leave.”
“Uh. Yeah. That’s it. I want to see his soul leave. By myself. I want to do it.”
“Tugal understands. I will wait for your return. Do not delay too long, the others may begin to wonder where you have gone. They become restless in the daylight when you are not back.”
Ten times she had tried to escape. Ten times she had fled into the desert in a different direction, each time finding no water, no food, and no other settlements. The saloonies hadn’t hurt her, as such, when they found her and brought her back. But they hadn’t been none too gentle either.

Thanks for reading along with Tongue Tied. I hope you are enjoying them.

(Did you arrive here at Episode 7 and haven’t read the first six episodes? Click here for Episode 1)

(If you just missed Episode 6, click here)

(I think Aria is up to something, how about you? But will it work out – for her, or Grant? I will post a link to Episode 8 here when it’s available)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing your feedback and comments