Monday, April 7, 2014

Of Hawks, Chickens and squirrels

I like the hawks. (Their flight reminds me of C. David Belt's vampires.) For the second year their family (the hawks, not David's) has chosen our massive cottonwood for a nest. They are smaller than my chickens, so I don't think they are much of a threat. That, and I've enclosed my run with steel fencing and netting so the hawks would have to open a gate to get in.

On the other hand - ground squirrel(s)!

Last year chipmunks ravaged my garden. This year it's a ground squirrel. It's smarter, bigger, eats more, goes under, around, and through my fencing and netting, and is just plain obnoxious they way it sits on top of my grow box, flashes squirrel signs, and brags to all its friends about eating my lettuce and chard.

I don't expect much from the hawks in residence - don't attack my chickens - don't drop your babies out of the nest again this year and...EAT THE GROUND SQUIRREL!

I don't think it's too much to ask for rental space in my tree. It's not like they aren't going to go out and hunt the surrounding area for just such a tasty meal as a squirrel. And here, like fast food on the corner, right under their tree, is a meal waiting to happen. Maybe the hawks are just waiting for the little bugger to fatten up on all my garden produce before they take him home for dinner.


Come on hawks, just fly on down and snatch that evil garden devil away. Just like a vampire, but not the one with a conscience, like the other vampires in C. David Belt's book Unwilling. Which by the way, I am enjoying when I'm not writing, or playing Caddy Shack in the garden.

Ever notice devil is evil with a "d" on the front end? I suppose evil is also a "d"-less devil too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing your feedback and comments